The Holidays are approaching and if you’ve been in just about any store by now, then you know that the Christmas stuff is already out! It’s amazing how fast they get the Halloween stuff out and the Christmas stuff in!
For one of my giveaways a few weeks back for a $10 CVS gift card, I asked readers to comment about a frugal gift idea. There were so many great ideas, I wanted to share them in case you missed them.
- Homemade picture frames with family pictures in them especially with black & white pictures.
- Gift baskets of things geared for the person and with coupons most of the ‘gifts’ are free.
- A basketful of homemade goodies.
- Jars of spiced tea mix. You can buy the ingredients and jars in bulk, then prepare for a cheap and easy gift for friends and neighbors.
- Homemade apple butter
- Pillow cases for the kids in the family. Super easy. If you don’t have a pattern (and need one) just cut up an old one. Go to Walmart and buy a yard of fabric to match each kids intrest/style/personalilty/etc. It takes just a few minutes to sew them up, and the kids/teens LOVE getting them.
- 5×7 photo Christmas cards you designed yourself in photoshop. Send them off to be printed and you have a whole stack of Christmas cards for less than $0.50 each. (note from Frugal RI Mama – two of my favorite places to get photo cards and gifts are Shutterfly and Snapfish. Here are some offers they have right now: Easily create personalized holiday Photo Cards at Shutterfly. OR Snapfish November Promotion 15% off holiday cards + 50 FREE 4×6 prints to new customers! )
- Homemade Salsa
- Baskets Full of personal care items from all the freebies!
- Favorite frugal gift to get is an Entertainment Book!!
- Painted light switch covers for friends and family (*note from FrugalRIMama I’ve made these from wallpaper pieces and border pieces too!)
- Photo slide shows on DVD and family recipe books!
- Kitchen gift baskets. You can see post about it HERE.
- Homemade coupon for a meal.
- A CD of all the pictures taken throughout the year, plus some photo paper.
- Baked goods.
- Homemade cookies and candies.
- Home Crafts – Like a Snowman muffin tin wall decor You can collect used muffin tins at garage sales all summer and then paint them for Christmas gifts. First Spray paint them (on the back side)country blue. Then splatter them with white paint. Each muffin circle is going to be painted as a snowman face. Just paint the bottom of the muffin white by sponge painting it…do all 12 and let dry. Then come back and paint on black eyes and black coal smile and orange nose. Glue a pretty Christmas ribbon with glue (E600) for a hanger. E600 glue glues to almost anything.
- Home made bath salts.
- Can fresh fruit when it is in season and give it as gifts in the wintertime.
- Photo gifts (Note from FrugalRIMama: Snapfish.com by HP
is offering 20% off all their photo gifts!)
- Picture collages with words or something that is home made like quilt, burp cloths etc.
- Movie gift baskets (Blockbuster gift card, popcorn and movie candy). (Note from Frugal RI Mama – A subscription to Blockbuster Total Access or Netflix! is a great idea too.)
- Handwritten decorative Christmas cards.
- Cute photos in frames you can collect during the year (on sale of course).
- Personalized gift baskets. You can buy a few items from the dollar store (candles, lotions, picture frames, etc.) and add something homemade as well such as fudge, party mix, cookies.
- Pretty holiday trays or tins you can get at a $1 shop and fill them with cookies, candies, and dipped/decorated pretzel rods.
- Homemade Bread.
- “Gifts in a jar” – Just put all the ingredients and a recipe for cookies or cake or something on a mason jar and tie a ribbon around it.
- Pretty soap sets. It is something that will be used.
- Handmade Fabric book with finger puppets.
- Handmade gifts like mittens, blankets, wrist rests for a keyboard, baked goods.
- Marbled tile coasters with the kiddos pictures.
- Handmade scrapbooks, paper bag albums, cards etc. (Note from Frugal RI Mama, Here are some of my favorite scrapbook supply stores (I’m an avid scrapbooker!) Scrapbook.com: Thousands of scrapbooking supplies. HUGE daily discounts! and Two Peas in a Bucket and Paper.com and my favorite one of all A Cherry On Top, Scrapbooking Shoppe. You can get all the supplies you need and some of these places even have message boards you can join and get lots of inspiration from!)
- Magazine subscriptions. You can usually find good magazines for under $10 and it is the gift that they receive for the whole year. (Note from Frugal RI Mama Check out these places: MagMall.com and MagsForLess–Largest Selection and Cheapest Magazines Anywhere!!! Just use coupon code cjsave15p. OR MagsForLess Save 15% off any magazine subscription order over $25.00.)
- Free samples as stocking stuffers.
(Note from Frugal RI Mama – you can get lots of samples that I have listed in the Free Sample section)
- Homemade bath stuff (salts, oils,, etc)
- Hand soap from the Body Shop. It is useful and they usually put out a coupon around the holidays.
- Homemade jams. Put a couple in a basket with a loaf of homemade bread.
- Green and Red candies and treats.
A few other ideas for “frugal” gifts that I came up with:
Photostamps are an awesome gift, especially for those hard to buy for people and especailly grandparents! The last two years in a row, we’ve recieved these from friends and family members with pictures of our girls on them. I save them for when we send Cards or Thank you notes. Everyone loves getting them!
Omaha Steaks is another favorite of mine to recieve. We received this from our aunt and uncle a couple of years ago and it was, if I remember correctly, 2 complete meals for 2. It included potato’s and veggies. They have a great special right now where you get 2 free gifts. This is another good gift for those that are hard to buy for or even for those who live far away. Then you don’t have to worry about shipping it once you buy it.
And then there is always Amazon, they have great deals all the time.
As I come across more Holiday Gift Ideas I will add to this post. Please let me know if you have an idea please share!