I don’t normally shop at Wholesale clubs because I feel that I can save more buying items one at a time, on sale and with coupons so when My Blog Spark contacted me to see if I was interested in shopping at BJ’s Wholesale Club to find out if the deals really were there, I figured why not. They offered me a $25 gift card and a FREE 60 Day Membership.
My husband and I walked the aisles of BJ’s checking the prices and calculating in our heads to see if there really are a lot of deals there. We are happy to report that we found some good deals, especially in their meat and deli departments.
- Land O Lakes Deli cheese was $3.59lb plus I had a coupon for $1.00 off a pound. That was a great deal and something we use all the time. —-> Final Cost: $2.59lb
- B& J (their store brand name) Apple Juice 640z 2 pack was $3.89, which comes out to $1.94 each. Walmart has it for about the same price but still a good deal.
- Land O Lakes 1/2 & 1/2 which I buy all the time was only $1.99. I pay over $2.00 everywhere else even on sale. So that was a good price.
- Land O Lakes Milk which I have never seen before but since we love other Land O Lakes products we had to try it, especially since it was only $1.89 for a gallon of milk! My husband didn’t like it too much but he’s a HUGE milk snob. I thought it was find and told him he could get used to it for that price. Walmart’s store brand gallon of milk is over $2.00.
- 90% Hamburger was $2.49lb. That’s not even a sale price where I normally buy my meat so that was a great deal too!
- Sargento Shredded Cheese. They had a big pack which was equal to 2 smaller ones we normally buy and it was a double big pack so really we got 2 big packs which equal 4 small ones that we normally buy. Does that make sense? $6.99 for both plus I had a $1.00/2 coupon so in the end we paid $5.99 for each. Had I bought 4 smaller ones on sale ($2.50) and used 2 $1.00/2 coupons I would of spent $8.00 so we saved $2.01 buying the bigger packs. That was a GREAT Deal!
Total for everything above after coupons = $26.41
Total Saved for my normal sale prices = $9.52
The trip we made to BJ’s was worth it for what we saved and we are planning on going back more often before our membership expires but we haven’t decided on if we will purchase a membership. After a few more trips we will make our decision. There definitely are some savings when buying in bulk, but not everything if you shop like me and follow sales and use coupons. But it may be just enough to justify paying for a membership.
BJ’s also has store coupons that you can use along with manufacturers coupons to help you save more. Once your a member they will send you some in the mail but you can also grab some when your there shopping. These change from time to time.
Some new items from General Mills just hit shelves at BJ’s:
* Nature Valley Nut Clusters – 100% Natural, bite-sized clusters with granola, nuts and a touch of honey – and a resealable package which makes it great for sharing
* Progresso High-Fiber Soups – This 6-pack of soup is a great way to get your fiber with the great taste you know and love from Progresso
* Green Giant Complete Skillet Meal – A convenient and great tasting solution for a quick and delicious dinner for the family
* Pillsbury “Big Deluxe” Chocolate Chip Tub – Perfect for entertaining or as an everyday treat
Giveaway:My Blog Spark has generously offered to give (1) One Frugal RI Mama reader a chance to win a $25.00 BJ’s Wholesale Club Gift Card!
How To Enter: Just fill out the entry form below and tell me you’d like to win. That’s it!
Extra Entry: Once you do the above mandatory entry you can do any or all of the following extra entries. Just fill out a separate entry for each one telling me you did it or that you already do.
- Follow me on Twitter.
- Post About this Giveaway and leave me the link.
- Tweet about this giveaway and be sure to add @frugalrimama
- Sign up to receive my Emails or Add me to your favorite RSS reader.
Details: Open to US residents only. This giveaway will end January 23rd at 11:59 PM EST and the winner will be announced the next day using random.org and will have 48 hours to claim their prize or I will pick another winner.
My Giveaway entry method is different now. To avoid problems with too many comments on the posts, I will now be using an entry form for all giveaways. To leave an entry, just fill out the form below. You must fill it out separately for each entry. Once you enter the first time, the entry box will disappear. Click here to enter again each time after. Comments are closed on this thread but if you have any questions or problems please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Good Luck!
The gift card, free trial membership, and giveaway have all been provided to me by BJ’s Wholesale Club and General Mills through MyBlogSpark. This had no affect on my experience.