Believe it or not, the kids are really excited to go back to school in a few weeks. They don’t see all their friends over the summer so they are looking forward to getting back in touch with everyone. Both of my girls are very social but also good students and they enjoy school… at least now! I’m sure as they head into middle school, that’ll be a different story.
In honor of the kids going back to school, here is a fun recipe that the kids can help you make. Back to School Rice Krispies Treats. They are super colorful and fun to celebrate the back to school season! These are perfect to whip up for an after school treat.
We love making Rice Krispies and like to add different toppings for special occasions. And of course eating them plain is fun too, but the kids love decorating them. With this recipe, you’ll drizzle melted chocolate over the top and then add fun decorations.
Back to School Rice Krispies
This recipe will yield a 9 x 12 pan:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
Two 10 oz. bags of mini marshmallows
10 cups Rice Krispies cereal
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 cup Wilton red melting chips
1/8 cup Wilton blue melting chips
1/8 cup Wilton green melting chips
1/8 cup Wilton yellow melting chips
Wilton edible Apple decorations
Wilton edible ABC’s decorations
1. Line a 9×12 pan with foil and spray with Pam. Set aside.
2. In a large sauce pan, melt butter over low heat.
3. And marshmallows to the melted butter, stirring constantly.
4. Once marshmallows are melted, remove from heat and stir in the cereal and salt until well-coated.
5. Using a rubber spatula, transfer the Rice Krispies to prepared pan and press down firmly and evenly.
6. Cool completely in pan.
7. With a metal spatula, loosen the Rice Krispies from the pan. Invert the Rice Krispies onto a plate.
8. Let cool completely before cutting into 8-12 even pieces.
9. Microwave 1/8 cup of Wilton red chocolate melts for 30 seconds. Stir until completely melted. Drizzle over three Rice Krispies bars.
10. Microwave 1/8 cup of Wilton blue chocolate melts for 30 seconds. Stir until completely melted. Drizzle over three Rice Krispies bars.
11. Microwave 1/8 cup of Wilton green chocolate melts for 30 seconds. Stir until completely melted. Drizzle over three Rice Krispies bars.
12. Microwave 1/8 cup of Wilton yellow chocolate melts for 30 seconds. Stir until completely melted. Drizzle over three Rice Krispies bars.
13. Before icing dries, firmly apply Wilton edible Apple decorations and ABC’s to each Rice Krispies bar.