Looking for a quick yet fun after school treat for the kids that you can whip up in no time? How about oreo caramel apples? I bet the kids would love them and knowing there is an apple underneath all that oreo caramel goodness, will make me happy.
Try these Oreo Caramel Apples any day or for your Halloween party!
Oreo Caramel Apples Recipe
The best apple to use in this recipe is a Pink Lady apple. Before you start you must prepare the apple. First remove the wax coating from the apples by dipping them in boiling water mixed with a splash of vinegar for a few seconds. Remove and dry them and then allow them to cool completely. Next, push the round stick into the bottom of each apple.
1 C stick margarine
2 C packed brown sugar
1 C light corn syrup
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 package Oreo cookies
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a double boiler, pour water into the bottom half just slightly lower than when the top pot sits in the bottom half. bring water to a boil.
- Using a double boiler, put the margarine, brown sugar, corn syrup and condensed milk in the top pot bringing the heat to a med-high. Raise the temp to a boil, constantly stirring then reduce heat to med. Cook for 25-30 minutes or until a candy thermometer reads 248 degrees or when a teaspoon of the caramel is dropped into a glass of cold water it forms a firm ball.
- When this happens remove the pot from the heat stirring in the vanilla.
- Dip each apple into the caramel coating the apple and part of the wooden stick.
- Separate the Oreo cookies and remove the stuffing in the middle. Put the stuffing in a bowl or in the trash.
- Put the Oreo cookie pieces into a zip lock bag using a rolling pin crush the cookie pieces into a fine crumb.
- While the caramel apple is still hot sprinkle the finely crushed Oreo’s onto the apple or if you prefer roll the hot caramel apple into a plate filled with the crushed Oreo’s.
Repeat the process until all the apples are coated with caramel and oreos! Let them cool completely before biting into them.