This year for some reason my pool cleared up in 5 days. That has NEVER happened before. It was probably because we had a mild winter this past year but I’ll take it! My girls have been in the pool several times already and they are loving it!
Fried Ice Cream Summer Dessert Recipe
Where will I be? Besides watching them while in the pool, of course, I’ll be working on some fun summer treats. They will be building up their appetites from swimming all day. So how about some “Fried” Ice Cream made with Honey Bunches of Oats?!
We always have cereal in the house and I love finding other uses for it besides just breakfast (or lunch or dinner – come on, you know you’ve done that!). If you have Ice Cream in the house then you may want to try this recipe this summer. The kids are going to love it!
Fried Ice Cream with Cinnamon-Chocolate Sauce
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Serves 4, 1 ice cream ball each
Fried Ice cream:
1 cup Honey Bunches of Oats Almond cereal
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
2 cups vanilla ice cream
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
3 Tablespoons heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Place cereal in a medium bowl and lightly crush with your hands or the back of a wooden spoon. Add coconut and chili powder and combine.
- In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil. Add cereal and coconut mixture and fry until it is golden brown and toasted about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool completely
- Using a 1/2 cup measure, scoop ice cream and quickly form balls with your hands. Place on a small tray and immediately return to the freezer for at least 30 minutes or until the balls are firm.
- Remove ice cream balls from the freezer and quickly roll each ball in the cereal and coconut mixture. Return to the freezer for at least another 30 minutes or until the balls are firm again.
- When ready to serve, combine the chocolate chips, cream and cinnamon in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. If the chips are not completely melted, stir and microwave for an additional 30 seconds.
Serve each fried ice cream ball with a drizzle of cinnamon-chocolate.
The kids loved it! We made two batches and used vanilla ice cream in one and chocolate ice cream in the other. They both came out great. The crisp sweetness from the Honey Bunches of Oats Almond cereal complimented the ice cream so well and this was really easy to make.