Fritos and Tostitos are not only perfect for dipping, but they’re made with just three simple ingredients: Corn, healthier oils, such as corn oil, and salt. And if you’re looking for an easy way to add whole grains to your diet, Tostitos now has 8 grams of whole grains per serving.
To go along with tailgating during this football season and Frito-Lay snacks, here is a healthy recipe from registered dietitian Jessica Levinson of nutritioulicious.com.
Cheesy Bean, Zucchini and Red Pepper Dip
Serves: 8; Serving Size: ½ cup
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30-35 minutes
Total: 45-50 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 small zucchini, cubed
- 1 small red pepper, cubed
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 to 2 jalapeño peppers, seeds and ribs removed, chopped
- 1 can (15-ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup grated reduced-fat Monterey jack or cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add zucchini and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes, until soft. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Repeat step 2 with the red pepper, and then repeat again with the onions.
- Once the vegetables are all cooked, add them all back into the pan over low heat for another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer vegetables from pan to a small- to medium-sized ovenproof bowl. Add the drained beans, salt, pepper and chili powder, and toss to combine.
- Top bean and vegetable mixture with cheese and bake for about 10 minutes. Once the cheese is mostly melted, broil the dip for about 2 to 3 minutes until the cheese is brown and bubbly.
Nutrition Information (per ½ cup serving): 106 calories, 7 g protein, 10 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g fat, 2g sat fat, 8 mg cholesterol, 247 mg sodium
Win It! (1) Koupon Karen reader will win a Frito-Lay Football Party Pack which includes snacks to get your party started and a stadium chip and dip bowl
How to Enter: Leave me a comment sharing your favorite game watching (or tv watching if you don’t watch sports) snack.
Extra Entries: Once you do the above mandatory entry you can do any of the following an earn up to 6 more entries:
- Follow @KouponKaren on twitter
- Folllow @FritoLay on twitter
- “Friend” Koupon Karen on Facebook
- Tweet about this giveaway “I entered to win a Frito Lay Prize Pack @KouponKaren & you can enter too https://wp.me/pMKCI-4af” (you can tweet this once a day!)
- Blog about this giveaway
- Sign up to receive Koupon Karen daily emails or add me to your favorite reader
Details: This giveaway is open to US residents and will end October 26thth at 11:59pm. The winner will be randomly picked and announced shortly after and will have 48 hours to claim their prize or I will randomly pick another winner.
Disclosure: Frito Lay sponsored this giveaway. They sent me some snacks in exchange posting it. They will also send the winner a FREE prize pack.