I have 3 picky eaters in this house which makes it almost impossible for me to cook healthy meals. At least my 5 year old will try new things, but my 3 year old and 39 year old (otherwise known as my husband) won’t. This makes it very challenging when making dinner. We are Italian and have pasta quite often and I’ve thought about buying ‘brown’ pasta but I know it won’t make it past my picky crowd.
I can’t tell you how happy I was to find out that Uncle Ben’s has a new kind of rice; Whole Grain White Rice. It looks and tastes like white rice, but has all of the benefits of whole grains. There is no way they would ever know the difference, as long as it tasted good.
Uncle Ben’s, along with Mom Central sent me several boxes of Uncle Ben’s Long Grain White Rice for me to try and to share with others. It was super simple to prepare and cooked in 10 minutes. I like quick things!
I used two boxes with two different meals:
- Plain with some chicken and salad.
- Sauteed broccoli tossed with white rice served along side chicken. (Frozen broccoli thawed in the microwave, sauteed with some garlic and about 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Once cooked toss with cooked rice and serve.
The first dish (plain) went over very well with my husband and 5 year old. My 3 year old won’t eat rice. I’m working on it, she is my pickiest eater. The second dish me and my 5 year old enjoyed. Hubby doesn’t like broccoli. But in the end it worked, they had no idea that it was whole grain rice, which was my point in the first place. I will try other recipes to get them to eat it again.
Oh I guess I should also tell you that it tasted great!
The rice was a bit creamy and I wondered if I made it correctly. I later found out from my friend Jodi, who I shared a box with, that she found it creamy too. So I didn’t do anything wrong, whew!
- Packed with 45 grams of whole grains – almost a full day’s worth in one serving (48 grams are recommended daily)
- Low fat, Cholesterol free and No Preservatives
- Comes in a variety of flavors from traditional Long Grain to Chicken, Broccoli Cheddar, Taco Style and Sweet Tomato
- Quick 10-minute prep time
Want to try it out? Head on over to UncleBens.com and you can print a coupon for $.75/1 Uncle Ben’s Rice. And if your family loves to eat brown rice you can print a coupon for $1.00/2 Uncle Ben’s Whole Grain Brown Rice. This coupon is only available for a limited time.
Want to win some?
Giveaway: (1) Koupon Karen reader will each receive a box of Uncle Ben’s Whole Grain White Rice and an Uncle Ben’s Apron!
How to Enter: Just leave me a comment and tell me how you get your family to eat more healthy foods? Do you sneak foods into other foods (I do!) or do you tell them it’s something other than it is?
Extra Entries: Once you do the above mandatory entry you can do any of the following an earn up to 4 more entries:
- Tweet about this giveaway and be sure to include @kouponkaren
- Blog about this giveaway
- Sign up to receive my emails or add me to your favorite reader
- Add my new button to your blog or swap it out for the old button
Details: This giveaway is open to US residents only and will end May 31st at 11:59pm. The winner will be randomly picked and announced shortly after and will have 48 hours to claim their prize or I will randomly pick another winner.
“I wrote this review while participating in a blog campaign by Mom Central on behalf of Uncle Ben’s and received samples to facilitate my candid review. Mom Central sent me a gift card to thank me for taking the time to participate. My words are my own and were not affected by this.”